Mahabodhi Monastic Institute is a monastic training center. It imparts academic and spiritual education to the monks from their young age. The institute provides education similar to the traditional education given at the ancient Nalanda Buddhist University, which later became popular in all Buddhist learning centers throughout the world.
The monks are trained in both study and practice of Buddha’s teaching to grow spiritually and thereby to become a guiding light to the world. There are 135 monks with 16 teacher monks from all over India.
The students study the following subjects:
The following courses are conducted at Mahabodhi Monastic Institute:
- Buddhist ethics and Monastic discipline (Vinaya Pitaka)
- Life of the Buddha and Jataka stories.
- Comprehensive course on Pali language.
- History of Pali language and literature
- Sutta Pitaka - Discourses of the Buddha
- Memorization of Pali suttas.
- Abhidhamma Pitaka - Buddhist Philosophical Psychology
- Buddhist meditation
- Buddhist social philosophy, culture and civilization.
There are three levels of ordination:
- Nalanda Pali Vijjayatana: Primary and secondary school education, from class one to class ten, on completion of which PSLC (Pali School Leaving Certificate is awarded).
- Pariyatti Pathama: Equivalent to pre-university diploma course.
- Pariyatti Majjhima : Equivalent to Bachelor's degree (with the title Dhamma Kosalo)
- Pariyatti Osana: Equivalent to Master's degree (with the title Dhamma pandito)
- Dhammacariyo: Equivalent to PHD (with the title Achariya)
- Anagarika Ordination: On admission they are given Anagarika ordination and candidates will remain as Anagarikas for 2-4 years, depending on their age and learn all the basic things in Vinaya and Dhamma.
- Samanera Ordination: Those who have completed certain level of study and discipline practice get ordained as Samaneras.
- Bhikkhu Ordination: On attaining 20 years of age and completing all the basic studies and practice monks get ordained as Bhikkhus.
The propagation of the Buddha's teaching started with the 60 enlightened monks. Venerable Acharya Buddharakkhita believes that well trained, good monks with good practice of Vinaya and meditation alone play the key role in the propagation of the Dhamma. Hence the training of monks is of great importance. So he started the Mahabodhi Bhikkhu training center where monks are trained in:
- Buddhist meditation practices
- Giving talks on Buddhism.
- Memorization of suttas and preaching dhamma.
- Monastery management,
- Setting up and running Buddhist institutions etc.
- Organizing religious events
- Conducting dana services and patient counseling
- Buddhist painting and artistic skills
- Buddhist religious and cultural programs
Mahabodhi Monastic Library contains good collection of books from all parts of the world written by various well-known Buddhist scholars and writers. The monks are encouraged to study these books and to do research on the Pali canon, Tipitaka, and in other Buddhist fields, i.e., Buddhist History, Culture, Civilization, Traditions etc.
PLEASE HELP US
ATTEND OUR PROGRAMS
- Sponsor a monk. You may sponsor individually or collectively. The sponsorship amount for one monk is Rs.2500/- per month or Rs.30,000/- per year.
- A fund has been established in the name of the Founder "Venerable Acharya Buddharakkhita Foundation". This fund is kept as a fixed deposit. The interest is used for the maintenance of monks. You are welcome to donate to this corpus Fund.
- Donate study materials for monks.
- Donate Dhamma books for the Mahabodhi library.
- General donations like monks' robes, food, medicine and for maintenance of the vihara
All are welcome to participate in all our programs regardless of religion, race, color or sex etc.
Everyday and Weekly Programs:
- Morning Chanting and Meditation at 5.30 a.m.
- Evening Chanting and Meditation at 6 p.m.
- Every Sunday Dhamma discourse & Meditation Program at 9.30 a.m.
- Every Saturday Sutta class at 4.30p.m.
- Every Sunday Abhidhamma class at 4.30 p.m.
- Dana Service at Hospitals on Full moon days
- Dana service at Kidwai Cancer Hospital every Saturday at 12 Noon.
- Buddha Jayanti Celebrations on May Full moon day
- Dhammacakka Pavattana Day on July Full moon day
- Pavarana Day on October full moon day
- Dhammapada Festival on March Full moon day which is birthday of the founder
- Seminars, symposiums on various relevant topics
- Conducting various religions programs like Merit sharing ceremony, Birthday celebrations, House inauguration programs etc., at the monastery or at the homes of lay people on request and invitations extended to the monks.